Sunday, October 2, 2011

Happy Birthday!!

I LOVE YOU DAD!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!



Today we are right between the birthdays of two amazing men. Last week was my dad's birthday and this following week would be my grandpa's (Mom's dad) birthday.


My dad really is a hero in my life. When I was younger, I didn't see him much because we was ALWAYS working. I often wondered why he worked so much, but I would let it go because that's just how things were. It wasn't until I moved away to college that I really understood his love for me. I had only been in Logan a few days when my Jeep started having problems. The minute I called, he was in the car and on the way up to help me. He sacrificed his day to help me out. That's when I really started to see all that he did for me. He was showing it all of my growing up years, but I was too naive to really understand it. Dad is not a man of many words. He doesn't say much, but who he is really shows through in his actions. It was after that day in August of 2004 that I realized why he worked so much when I was younger...it was because he loved us so much. Having six kids who were all involved in sports and dance is not easy on the pocketbook. He worked his part-time jobs in order to pay for all of the things that us kids did. And not only did he work hard and long hours at those jobs, but then he would come home and spend the time with us, whether it be coaching for a football, basketball, or baseball team, or attending our baton performances and competitions. Truly, everything he did was for us!! Once I realized this, I began to see it on a daily basis, and still do. Dad's life revolved around the family. To this day we works hard in order to pay for season tickets for BYU football. Never once has he asked us to pay him when we go, but they are always open for us to take our turn at the games. He plans the Buzz games and countless camping trips. Everything he works for is for our family.


I am truly grateful for his hard work and for all he does for us. I have many wonderful experiences with my family while growing up because of him! Seeing his love for the family is very touching, but what has touched me more is what I saw this past summer...the true and eternal love he has for my mom. When my mom spent four long weeks in the hospital, I saw my dad at her side every free moment he got. Once he got off work, he was right there by her side until late hours of the night. Then he would go home, sleep for a couple hours, and do it all again. He did this every day for four weeks without even a complaint of being tired or worn out. The nights that he would work part time, he was still able to make it to the hospital. It all worked out perfect because he drives bus for the University of Utah. Since he started, he has had the route that goes right to the hospital. This was such a blessing because he would have a few minutes on his break to go up and spend some time with her. Though she wasn't totally coherent, and to this day doesn't remember what happened those four weeks, he was still by her side and doing everything he could for her. I saw the deep and eternal love that he has for my mom during this time. What a privilege it was to be able to see this. Seared in my memory are the many images of him sitting next to her and the countless blessings he gave her. That is what I call true love!!



Next, I think of my Grandpa Roothoff as his birthday approaches. Growing up, I always wished that my kids would be able to get to know Grandpa and Grandma Roothoff, but sadly, they will will never be able to meet Grandpa in this life. He passed away in November 2008, just three months after I returned home from my mission. Though my kids will never meet him in this life, they are probably hanging out with him right now in heaven. :)


Grandpa was the sweetest, most gentle man. He was always happy and always singing. It didn't matter what you said, he would make it a song, which always made us kids giggle. I loved to see how sweet and loving he was with Grandma. He was always complimentary of her and pointing out things that she had done. He was such a sweetheart!


I remember giving my Grandma a hug just moments after Grandpa passed away. She whispered in my ear, "Just be patient and keep praying. Once day you will get one as good as him." To find a man just like my Grandpa would have been the ultimate blessing!! Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be married to a man who reminds me so much of this man who meant so much to me.


Just after Jared met my family and they got to know him, my mom said to me, "Jared reminds me a lot of my dad." It was then that I realized she was right. He was just like Grandpa and I knew that if I married him, I would forever be happy. And guess what...I am forever happy!


Jared reminds me so much of these two special men in my life. He is a perfect combination of both of them-hard working, family-focused, gentle, complimentary, selfless, forgiving, strong, faithful, and so much more. I'm glad to say that I now have three special men in my life, not to mention the five amazing brothers I have. Wow! I am blessed with incredible men!



No comments:

Post a Comment